Friday, July 8, 2016

My first two days in Ulan Bator

It has been a LONG two days (three if you include flying time). After about a day of travel (I will never recommend flying through Beijing. It's awful.), I finally arrived in Ulan Bator at 5:30 AM yesterday. My guide picked me up from the airport and took me straight to meet my host family and get some rest.
  Induction to Ulan Bator:
     After a few hours of sleep, my guide picked me up and showed me how to walk to my work placement, to the projects abroad office, and how to get to shopping street and Peace Avenue, probably the most important streets for me to know about. On Peace Avenue we want to the state department store to exchange my money and get a local sim card. It was absolutely HUGE. I'm pretty sure we hopped at least 6 escalators on the way up. I definitely want to go there again, if I can find my way 😂.
   After my official induction, I came home and accidentally had a 30 minute power nap turn into a full on 5 hour nap. Such is jet lag.
   Today: First day at the orphanage:
   My first day working at the orphanage was very interesting. On my arrival I discovered that the only other person in the building who speaks English is my supervisor, so most of my first day was spent learning the ropes by exchanging very exaggerated gestures and some confused looks. I was assigned to the younger group, mostly consisting of little babies.
   Observations on Ulan Bator:
   I have never seen such awful drivers as I've seen here in Mongolia. It is extremely common to see people parked, and sometimes driving, on the sidewalks. Crosswalks are optional for cars and people alike, so if you're crossing the street, keep your eyes open and be ready to run, because yes, you could get run over by a bus (Yeah, I watched that almost happen yesterday).
   Also if you're white, hoodlums might spray you with water after you walk by because they thought you might be Russian. I didn't really understand that one when my host mother, Baljmaa, tried to explain it, but yeah that happened. So don't be white, guys. It's not the best idea while you're in Asia.
  I'm sure there are lots more adventures to come! Naadam is next week, so I'll have lots to tell.
   Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting beginning, Belle. Imagine how much more you'll have experienced and discovered in just another few days! Keep your chin up. I'm looking forward to your next post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting beginning, Belle. Imagine how much more you'll have experienced and discovered in just another few days! Keep your chin up. I'm looking forward to your next post. :)

    ReplyDelete